WHILE SOME MEN SAY THAT THEY cannot handle a strong woman, and go on and on about how an independent woman is intimidating, the successful man has discovered the secret.
An article in the HuffPost indicated that successful men have found that the most attractive and sexually desirable woman is not the brainless beauty, whose duty is to look good and stay quiet. Instead, a woman who is successful is more desirable.
Behold, the trophy wife is dead
The trophy wife is dying and in her place is the power couple. Don’t you just admire Amal and George Clooney and Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg?
According to anthropologist Dr. Stephene Juan, successful men who married younger women earned less money than their colleagues with similar age wives. Dr. Juan further says, ‘a powerful man wants a woman who is equal to him. A weak man wants someone who is docile and servant to him’.
According to Dr. Juan, for a man to want nothing but a trophy wife, that is a sign of insecurity. Sociologist Christine Whelan also indicates that brains are the new beauty.
Men are beginning to realize that there are benefits to marrying a successful woman:
- They will no longer have to bear the burden of breadwinning alone since the women can bring their own share to the table.
- They also do not have to make all the decisions. The new trophy wife is not afraid to question any decision that does not meet her threshold.
- Together, they have the ability to build an empire.
- High achieving women marry at the same rate as all other women; they just get married later in life.
- A 2005 article in American Journal of Sociology reported that high status and powerful women are rated as more attractive than their counterparts. Also, women in positions of power are sexier to men as compared to the more subordinate women.
- Research by Megan Sweeney, an assistant professor at the University of California, L.A, revealed that higher earning women marry at higher rates. Indeed a $10,000 per year increase in salary can translate to 7 percent increase in the likelihood that a woman will marry within the year.
- According to the Current Population Survey, women with an advanced degree and those who earn in the top 10 percent of all female earners in their group, marry at the same rate as all other women, maybe just a little later.
Busting the myth
The belief that men are intimidated by successful women is just a myth. Research shows that more than half of women with graduate degrees have husbands without graduate degrees. Clearly, men who are not intimidated by a successful woman do exist. The successful modern man no longer settles just for beauty.
Bill Gates became the wealthiest man in the world before he got married. It is, however, said that it is Melinda who convinced him to spend billions on world health issues. Today the Bill and Belinda Gates Foundation is most successful in fighting malaria and AIDs in Africa with close to an endowment of $29 billion to solve global education and health issues. The touch of the right woman really does boost success.
Some of the values of a strong woman that men admire include:
She is independent
This woman has her own ambitions and interests. And she has more priorities outside of her relationship. A strong, busy woman understands when the man needs to work overtime, when he needs to retreat to his man cave or when he needs some time with the guys. She is not needy and does not need to always be by his side to entertain her or validate her. Her partner is always curious about her ideas and pursuits.
She is intelligent
Research shows that people date partners who are similarly ranked to them: attractiveness, humor, and intelligence. A successful man will, therefore, date an intelligent woman. Indeed, research shows that a man should marry a woman who is smarter than him. Lawrence Whalley, a professor emeritus from the University of Aberdeen found that a smart woman can protect a man from dementia later in life.
He advises men to marry smart women. The idea is, a smart woman will constantly challenge a guy intellectually, which will keep his mental faculties keener for a long time.
She is a good communicator
A successful woman has honed her communication skills. She is busy, and she has no time to play games. She thinks about what she wants to say, comes up with a strategy and then speaks to her man. She communicates calmly and factually without being overly emotional.
She lets a man know that she is responsible and easy to sort things out with. He also respects that she does not drag uncomfortable situations out for days. The man will appreciate that she is logical and not confrontational. The relationship will thrive in this space.
A strong woman brings structure to a man’s life.
A strong woman is a good planner. She is goal oriented and has the ability to get things done. She will have daily, weekly and monthly goals for herself and the relationship. Indeed she is a successful manager and she is good at multi-tasking. Men have discovered that a strong woman can take their lives and accomplishments to the next level.
You do not have to dull your shine in order to attract a good man. All that good men want is what they have always wanted: a soft, feminine person who is kind and caring. And this does not make you weak. You can be soft and nurturing and still be smart, strong and successful.
The wonder woman
Men love to be needed. How will you keep your independence and still show your man that you need him? How will you balance your strength without making your guy feel unwanted? The key to this is learning what makes a successful relationship. Embrace your feminine nature and allow your man’s masculinity to shine.
- Drop your guard and allow him to act in ways that he needs to in order to feel that he is contributing to your relationship as a man.
- Let him pick the bill up on your dates
- Let him offer you his jacket when it is cold
- Let him pay for the groceries
For a strong woman, a successful relationship is a balancing act, and as many have done it before, you can do it too.
Thanks for reading my article and I hope I have gone someway to answering your question “Do Men Like Strong Women?” – The Type of Man Most Attracted to Strong Women.
You can get the insight scoop on attracting your dream guy by joining the newsletter, and you can contact me here